Monday, December 2, 2013

Journal Entry 5: Your Neighborhood

Learning your sense of place is a satisfying task. When you are aware of your surroundings and your environment you can identify where you belong, therefore finding your sense of place. Today I took a walk around my neighborhood with my friends. We are all colloquium students searching for our sense of place and it was very apparent that we belong right where we are. Osprey Cove is the home for us, where we recycle, clean up the streets, and garden in our extra space.
Osprey Cove has some sustainable features including the many recycling bins located outside of each building for easy recycling. Along with its recycling bins three man made retention ponds were created to conserve rain water and street runoff to recycle its water supply to use for the sprinkling systems.
Osprey Cove has beautiful landscaping for a vibrant and welcoming environment for all of its friendly residents.
Osprey cove residents have become so dedicated and proud of their neighborhood that they have planted fruit bearing trees around the pool in their spare time. The ripe banana fruits are prime examples of a sustainable food. The banana tree is a perfect example of a sustainable food source. Also, because I have the privilege of owning a 1st floor apartment I have full access to the grass area outside of my porch. There I choose to grow herbs such as basil, rosemary, and cilantro on the porch.
With the nature opportunities provided in Osprey Cove I have had a better chance to get antiquated with nature and find my sense of place.

Here my friends and I enjoy the first fruits of the famous Osprey Bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment