Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Journal 9: Field Experience: ECHO

Today we took a trip out to ECHO where I found myself surrounded with exotic plants and trees which varied from cranberry flavors to tiny chili peppers. I was very intrigued with the ECHO tour we were given. Our tour guide was a soft spoken man who looked as if he originated from the Philippines. He had a funny sense of humor, eating dangerous plants seemed to be one of his favorite jokes. While walking through the various gardens I was glad to see the shimmering leaves of the bamboo trees dancing high in the sky as the wind attempted to blow through the steel wall of plants. I remember looking straight up at the dome of bamboo and watching the leaves dance faster and faster as the wind blew harder and feeling a sense of peace. I really enjoyed trying all the edible plants that we passed by. Some of my classmates encouraged me to eat species I would have rather not, but hey I'm still alive, no? 
I am an avid gardener myself so I had a blast learning about the endless reusable products that could be used as planters. It was hilarious, plants were growing directly out of soil bags, tires, newspaper beds and I think I even saw a shoe! This was inspiring for me to see all these different methods because I am always open to sustainable options that I can utilize in my backyard. 
If I had to find, grow, or cook my own food such as people in third world countries I would love to have ECHO as a community partner. They have come up with tons of innovations such as slow burning clay ovens and even solar cookers that work similar to a crock pot!They also had impressive methods of plant growing and ways to obtain water manually. I admit that this lifestyle would be unfortunate but it is possible. For me it would be a tough transition because I, sadly, eat packaged food for convenience I would definitely experience spouts of true feelings of hunger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment