Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Journal 8: Field Experiences


Boring and Uninteresting would probably be the first two words I was prepared to use pre-departure of Down Town Fort Myers. How pretentious of me! This morning I prepared myself for my first encounter with Down Town Fort Myers and a negative attitude followed me right to the last seat in the back of the bus.
Upon arrival I was actually quite impressed with the quiet, quaint little town. First I was pleased to see that we were situated right on the water with the familiar mangroves and other wildlife. There were tons of interesting history facts that stood out to me during the trip. I was impressed with the palm tree garden and the many varieties of palm trees from all over the world. I also found it very interesting to hear about the big possibilities ft Myers had in its future before several poor economies cut it at its knees. I felt a bit on edge while walking the streets. everything seemed so old and abandoned that I was not sure what to expect around every corner. Not to mention horror movies were filmed here! 

On a separate note, I felt much different about the campus walk. I had been thrilled to go to the Food Forrest that we have on campus ever since I went to an event hosted on campus by the organization last year. Food was served using solely the by product of the garden and it was very inspiring. I was amazed by the Food Forrest, I couldn't believe that students my age were capable of such complex organization of plants to increase maximum biodiversity. Over all I thought It was genius. The tree that really caught my attention was the Miracle Moringa tree and its edible little leaves which are packed with nutrients that could save malnourished communities.  

I believe the Campus trails are important for students natural curiosity. It is a healthy way to exercise and feed the mind valuable knowledge and nutrients it craves. We are humans of this earth, and therefore should be indulged in nature as much as possible. It is our natural habitat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment