Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Journal 10: Colloquium Reader

Well, its no secret now but its an obvious trend that everyone ended up loving colloquium. Since the first day of class we were all put at ease that this would be a fun enjoyable class. This was no lie, even the very first article we were assigned to read in our Colloquium Reader was rather enjoyable. In fact, it was my favorite passage. Richard Louv's excerpt from Last Child in the Woods was just brilliant. The excerpt gave a perfect depiction of today's society and its band aid method of solving learning and attention disorders. A recent up rise in the prevalence of ADD and ADHD can be directly linked to a lack of contact with nature. Nature possess natural calming qualities and is its own form of education. Children of this decade are slowly being removed from their natural habitat of the outdoors because of the up rise in technology.
I found this reading to "hit home" quite hard. I have a thirteen year old brother who was diagnosed with ADHD and from the start I thought it was a mistake. My younger brother is the definition of today's culture; computers, video games, virtual realities, and situations where " there's an app for that!"
I found the article very insightful and hopeful for our future. I even noticed qualities of myself in the nature deficit disorder and I still feel hopeful about our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment