Monday, December 2, 2013

Journal 6: Orchid Thief character Profile

While reading the Orchid Thief I have found myself identifying with John Laroche. I find it sort of shameful that I see a lot of my own personal tendencies in his character. John Laroche's character is depicted as a sort of crazy man with wild ideas and huge ambitions. However, with those large ambitions usually follows a large failure. I find myself taking on odd projects or finding a passion for a topic outside of my comfort zone very often. Like Laroche, I can dedicate my whole self to the topic and suddenly loose interest when I feel I have exhausted my curiosity.
I dislike this quality about myself. I sometimes find myself wishing I would have stayed committed to one task because I would have been the best at it, just like Laroche believes. However, I am very thankful that I have a wandering eye for passion because I truly enjoy "getting my feet wet" in every subject. I believe that being well rounded is a positive trait and can assist you in all different situations in life. Just like Laroche, I don't half ass the topics or practices I enjoy. I indulge fully but lose interest quickly after gaining all the necessary information.
Laroche has many different driving forces for his passions, in this book Orchards are the culprit. His struggles are just as powerful as his passion because of his infamous attitude of dropping subjects at the drop of a hat. I believe that Laroche's sense of place is still unknown. I believe if he had found that "get rich quick" scenario successfully that he would find some way to be unsatisfied and on the search for another topic to conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment